Forum search

Ska Sheet Music Repository

46 replies [Last post]
bro2baseball
bro2baseball's picture

So this isn't a tab request, but it should fulfill some, and I think this is the best forum to put it in.
Personally, I find sheet music much easier to read off than horn tabs, and I think this is the ideal community to share our transcriptions.

Use this thread to post links to any horn transcriptions you have: Finale files, Sibelius files, PDFs, etc.

bro2baseball
bro2baseball's picture
I'll start. I recommend

I'll start. I recommend uploading to www.mediafire.com, it's free and reliable. NOTE: These aren't my scans, I've been emailing around and collection all the sheets I can find. Please contribute anything you have!

--edited by Sander on 2009-12-01: Links that were posted here are available here: http://www.horntabs.net/h/sheetmusic

micos
micos's picture
.mus

hi mate. i just got familliar with the .mus file extension. do you know any site where i can find more of these? thanx a lot Cool

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
Download the latest version

Download the latest version of Finale, even if it is a demo version.

http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/

Savage
Savage's picture
Everything Went Numb 2

Hey, great idea, I'm all for it. In fact, almost half of those are my transcriptions. I'm having trouble figuring out the difference between EWN version 1 and 2 though. Are they the same, or only different in that one of them is was made on Finale 2006?

Zachtenorsax
Zachtenorsax's picture
how?

Yo dude I've been looking for sheet music for ever, although learning by ear is useful too.. I feel like an idiot for asking this but how exactly do I open those files? I became a member to that site and everything.

Savage
Savage's picture
Re: how?

Do you have the music notation program, Finale? The files should open with that program once they're downloaded. Someone posted a link somewhere above.

tenormaphone
tenormaphone's picture
The Seatbelts Tank! all

The Seatbelts
Tank! all parts.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dygdjmzmoqi

TRUMPETgr
TRUMPETgr's picture
Hello everyone!!!! I have

Hello everyone!!!!
I have been searching a lot of time now to find ska sheet music for trumpet. Very nice work guys i hope you have more to upload.
Sorry for my english..
Good afternoon from Arhens Greece

ehmohteeoh
ehmohteeoh's picture
Brilliant, I'm also all for

Brilliant, I'm also all for this idea. I pay for a lot of bandwidth I don't use, I'm willing to host some files if you'd like a more permanent depository than a free webhosting site. E-mail anything you want up to 2GMoto@gmail.com and I'll post links.

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
I love the idea of this

I love the idea of this project! As the OP said, horn players are more accustomed to reading sheet music, although it's good to have both that and tabs available at this site.

I can contribute by writing out entire horn charts for songs, however I have a few questions:

1) Should I write out the parts for only the horns used in the original songs or should I write them out for all horns?

2)Should I write in the exact song order and number of rests or should I just write out the parts that the horns play separated by one rest and have the player listen to the song to get the structure?

The first way would save alot of time and space on the score, but might exclude those who play a different horn. The second way would take alot of time and space on the score, but would have parts available for more than just the exact horns used on the song.

What do you guys suggest?

Savage
Savage's picture
1) I think it would be a good

1) I think it would be a good reference tool to transcribe only for original setups. For simpler songs this won't matter, but in more complicated ones it might get confusing looking for the trombone part rewritten for tenor sax, amongst the alto sax part rewritten for trumpet and the trumpet part rewritten for trombone. If you keep just the original instruments, it shouldn't be a big step for anyone to plug the individual parts into Finale themselves and transpose for any instrument they want.

2)I like to transcribe so that you could sit down and read in a jazz band like session, but that's just a personal preference. If you get into just writing sections, it's more like a tab. You might have to write notes and cues for when to come in. A lot of people would probably prefer this second method though. It will have to be left up to the majority of comments what you should do.

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
Transcription methods

1) Good, then it's settled. I will only transcribe for the horns used on the track by default. This makes it much easier. Like you said, one could always transpose for a different horn if necessary.

2) I just checked out some professional horn transcriptions and they write the sections by letter (A, B, C, etc.) with repeat signs and cues to guide the player. Each song only takes up a few pages. I think I will start transcribing them this way.

Also, should I write out the full score only, or include the individual parts as a pack? It would take a few extra steps, but I could do it if enough people wanted it.

Savage
Savage's picture
Full Scores

Right, maybe the transcriptions can be condensed quite a bit by adding repeats. I'll see if I can condense any of the existing transcriptions. While I'm at it, I'll probably add rehearsal marking (letters). Good research.

I thought the scores would be a better way to send transcriptions around, but really, when will anyone need or have to print the full score of one of these songs. Especially for ska, where there is no conductor, only the individual parts are necessary. The score is just a way to hear the song played back when it's still in Finale form, and it's only easy to extract the parts from the score if you have the right software. The only real advantage to having it in score form is that it's only one file, so if you can package them like you say, it would probably be much more useful to send out the individual parts. I would still prefer the score version (so if you're ever sending anything to me directly, then don't bother with the extra work), but I have a feeling I would be the minority.

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
Full scores bundeled with individual parts

I have no problem making a zip file of each song including the full score with each individual part. Check this out:

http://davecushmanmusic.com/pdfs/pdfs.html

Some professionals include 2 parts for every horn (trumpet, trombone, all saxes, flute, clarinet) and sometimes even the guitar/keyboard, and bass parts. We have actually have it easier, since we've decided to only write for only the horns used for the song.

I've come to the conclusion that it's better to write one or two good charts than to write a dozen mediocre ones. You have certainly shown me that through your transcriptions.

Please check your email. I have a few questions on how to use Finale more efficiently. Thanks again, Savage!

Dave Cushman
Dave Cushman's picture
My 2 cents

SkaMasta097 wrote:
1) Should I write out the parts for only the horns used in the original songs or should I write them out for all horns?

First choice would be to write them out for whatever horns are in your band or your client's band. Second choice, pick a typical horn section for the style of music and write all the songs out with the same instrumentation. If you use Finale files, horns can easily be transposed with only a few clicks, change a trombone to tenor sax. If a song for example has only a trumpet part/solo, still make blank parts for the other horns with TACET on it so they won't look for their part. It also gives them a placeholder when putting the music in order for a show.

Quote:
2)Should I write in the exact song order and number of rests or should I just write out the parts that the horns play separated by one rest and have the player listen to the song to get the structure?

Note for note, rest for rest.
What's the point of having printed music if they still have to listen to the song to learn it? The use of rehearsal letters will help in rehearsals and at gigs. Vocal lyric cues just in case a singer forgets the form of the tune.

Something I do that works well for non-instrumental songs... I do a single staff master horn part. It has unisons and where needed 3-4 horn voicings along with rehearsal letters, repeats, lyric cues, etc. I then duplicate the file, rename it to XXX_Bb, open and change the transposition to Bb. I do the same for Eb transposition and bass clef. The 4 parts are all identical except for the transposition. This way, it doesn't matter what size horn section show up, everyone has something to play and the horns sound organized.

dave@davecushmanmusic.com

sander
sander's picture
www.wikifonia.org

----------------------
Webmaster Horntabs.net

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
Link 80 - "Kind Of" Horn Chart
bro2baseball
bro2baseball's picture
sweet

Hey guys, Glad this thread is producing some results. Just to add something, in my opinion, the most important thing is simply adding whatever you have. Although I think we'd all prefer a note-by-note transcription of each song, for a lot of us that's not necessary.

In that vein, I'll add a few more songs, which are rough transcriptions. I should note that the instrumentation including is intended for MY band (alto sax, trumpet, trombone), so many of the parts are "drag-and-drop" Finale transcriptions.

Anyway, I encourage anyone to add whatever transcriptions they have, even if they are rough sketches or not perfect.

Goldfinger - Superman
http://www.mediafire.com/?jafkjttzych

Reel Big Fish - S.R (Suburban Rhythm)
http://www.mediafire.com/?cyt2mwjzy5d

Big D and the Kids Table - Shining On
http://www.mediafire.com/?3yngnc2htz0

Spring Heeled Jack - Pay Some Dues
http://www.mediafire.com/?mzd0jynzjzm

Mustard Plug - Skank by Numbers
http://www.mediafire.com/?ojdwlytjwjj

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Where'd You Go
http://www.mediafire.com/?gdmjjdtddmy

Mighty Mighty Bosstones -The Impression That I Get
http://www.mediafire.com/?btdz1ifqomm

bro2baseball
bro2baseball's picture
Streetlight Manifesto - A

Streetlight Manifesto - A Better Time, A Better Place
http://www.mediafire.com/?fqmhzgey3nz

sander
sander's picture
Hi all, Please submit your

Hi all,

Please submit your links here: http://www.horntabs.net/h/node/add/linktosheetmusic !
All links to sheet music can then be found here: http://www.horntabs.net/h/sheetmusic

I have already added all links from bro2baseball's first post Smile

----------------------
Webmaster Horntabs.net

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
Sander, you are the bomb!

Sander, you are the bomb! Thanks alot, dude!

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
Copyright Issues

Hey all,

It just dawned upon me. Is this stuff legal copyright wise? I know guitar tabs are considered the tab writer's interpretation of the song, rather than copyright infringement. I wouldn't think it would be any different for sheet music, since we are interpreting this ourselves as well. I was just curious. I don't think it's illegal but I always credit the group, year, record label it was released on just in case. Also, don't forget to credit yourself if you arranged any of these transcriptions.

sander
sander's picture
This is why I didn't make it

This is why I didn't make it possible to upload sheet music to the site. Linking to another site is a bit safer from this point of view..

----------------------
Webmaster Horntabs.net

asiantinkerbell
asiantinkerbell's picture
tab request!

Does anyone know Wonderful by Big Bang or Look Who's Talking by BoA or Genie by SNSD or Real Folk Blues by Yoko on trumpet? It would be greatly appreciated.

bobbarkerfan1ped
bobbarkerfan1ped's picture
I've been trying to write

I've been trying to write parts for Suburban Legends "I Want More" and have been having trouble. Is there anybody who could help me out?

Skanktroniac
Skanktroniac's picture
drums and guitars?

to complete most of the sheet music, i notice that there are a lot of blank spaces for the guitars and drums... what we really need is a drummer and a guitarist who are really good at writing out music Laughing out loud

lostcause34
lostcause34's picture
Drums

I can probably write a couple drum parts. Drums are crazy easy in ska. I'll start with probably

"Shining On" Big D and the Kids Table
and
"Sell Out" Reel Big Fish

Just cause they're easy and they're popular.

fazer7
fazer7's picture
I just joined this site to

I just joined this site to thank bro2baseball for making those horn parts they're great!

Also, whoever suggested making " I want more" should really do it. THat's an amazing song lol

bjcrunner
bjcrunner's picture
Would You Be Impressed?

Hey, I'm a new member at horntabs. I'd like to share my chart for Would You Be Impressed? by Streetlight Manifesto. I transcribed it with my band in mind, hence an alto sax instead of a bari, and the words 'panda watch' instead of streetlight manifesto. I downloaded the already uploaded would you be impressed chart, and it wasn't quite accurate. Mine isn't perfect, but I think it's a little more exact. You may have to change it a bit to adapt it to your own group of horns. Its a great song, so enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jdnjjzxinnw

EDIT: Just saw the upload page. I'll put it in there.

Brooks
Brooks's picture
Sheet Music

The sheet music section seems a little unorganized at this point. Is there anyway we can make this section as 'organized' as the tabs portion of the site? You know...with artist search and whatnot.

I know there's only a few dozen songs up, but it would still seem like a good idea IMO. Pretty soon this portion of the site, I'd imagine, will grow significantly.

TptMedic
TptMedic's picture
Help with Reel Big Fish Charts

Hey all,
I could use some help with a few "reel big fish" tunes.

Drinkin'
Brown eye girl
Take me on
She has a girlfriend now
Kiss me deadly

I've listened to them over and over.. I'm just not great at putting it to sheet music

I do have a few blues brothers Tpt parts if people are looking. I just need to put them from Paper to Finale. Thanks all

Email - Medic_1979@hotmail.com

sander
sander's picture
Just play tabs?

http://www.horntabs.net/h/search/results/taxonomy%3A81%2C602

Why not play from tabs? All the songs you mention are online as Tablature..
On the bottom of the Tabs page, click: convert to sheet music. This might help you if you are used to reading sheet music.

----------------------
Webmaster Horntabs.net

TptMedic
TptMedic's picture
tabs

Hey Sander,

Yeah I played the tabs, and it goes alright. I'm really trying to build my "gig" book for the band, and have all my charts on sheet music. I'm a much better player when I can see the rhythms and notes. (only one in the band that Doesn't play by ear) I used the horn tabs from the blues brothers tunes and was able to transcribe those, but these Ska songs are kickin' my butt and giving me a headache. Ha ha...

Greg

TptMedic
TptMedic's picture
New Song

Here is Opening: I Can't turn you loose as played by the blues brothers. NOTE: I did NOT leave multiple blank measures for long brakes.

OPENING: I can't turn you loose - Blues Brothers
[b]http://www.mediafire.com/?kzytj2rw2qz
[/b]

tubaboi
tubaboi's picture
Catch 22

anyone have any catch 22 to post? I'm working on getting supernothing at the moment...

finnth
finnth's picture
StreetLIght music

Anyone have any Streetlight Manifesto Sheet music?? i would love it if you did Smile

Savage
Savage's picture
Re: Streetlight Music

Check out my stuff. I've got a few. I think quiznos has more than I do, so look him up too.

quiznos
quiznos's picture
re: streetlight music

I have their new cd and most of Somewhere in the Between tabbed, you can probably find most other songs if you search. just find the tab and click "convert to sheet music", make sure you choose trumpet, and voila. you'll just have to listen to the song for rhythm.

rsamu45
rsamu45's picture
Hey thats a great information

Hey thats a great information provided by you.
I think the forum you had in this site can help us out to read it much clearly through horn tabs.
I liked it very much.
Thanks for sharing the information by your for us.
It was excellent....

Dubbing

Sonic Branding

rsamu45
rsamu45's picture
Modern sheet music may come

Modern sheet music may come in several different formats. If a piece is composed for just one instrument or voice (for example, a piano or an a cappella song), the whole work will be written or printed in its own sheet music.
If an instrument piece is intended to be performed by more than one person, each performer will usually have separate piece of music called a part to play from. The sung part in a vocal work usually are not issued separately today although this was historically the case, especially before music printing made sheet music widely available.
Sheet music can be issued as individual pieces or works or in collections of works by one composer or by several or of pieces erformed by a given artist.
When the separate instrumental and vocal parts of a musical work are printed together, the resulting sheet music is called a score. This term ahas also been used to refer to sheet music written for only one performer. The distinction between socre an part applies when their is more than one part needed for performance.
It has been great to been in this site.
Thanks a lot for your great effort for us

Dubbing

Sonic Branding

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
New sheet music uploads

Hello everyone,

I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. I have been hard at work, making transcriptions of song for horns. I uploaded a few just a while ago and hopefully they will be published shortly. I also converted the songs I previously uploaded into separate PDF files for each individual horn part, so it would be easier to read from. I plan to transcribe more songs in the future. My aim is for my transcriptions to be a good contribution to this site and for horn players all over the world to enjoy playing them. Be sure to rate them and tell me what you think.

Happy Holidays, Horntabs!

ssdrum2007
ssdrum2007's picture
What a Wicked Gang Are We

Is there any chance someone can write out the trumpet part at least for What a Wicked Gang Are We - Streetlight Manifesto? I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

epiclink712
epiclink712's picture
A moment of silence

Wil someone please do me a huge favor and arrange a moment of silence by streetlight manifesto for me? it will be the greatest thing in the world

epiclink712
epiclink712's picture
does anyone have any sheet

does anyone have any sheet music for police the nation by the planet smashers? if u do could you please email me or post it in the sheet music section. if you don't will someone try to arrange it because i really love that song and i'd like to do a cover for my ska band. thanks

ThePachunky
ThePachunky's picture
Party Down by Reel Big Fish

It would be nice if someone found trombone horn tabs or notes for this song. It would really help.

stuape27
stuape27's picture
Party Down

Ive tried to work out some of it, new to tabbing though and working out tracks. What I have so far very roughly is:

D A F# F# G G " D C# D F# F# A " < that section in inverted commas is a guess, I think Im probably wrong

Then for the verse it goes

D A
D D C# C# D

twice, and then

D A F# F# G G
D D C# C# D

The chorus is then
E D C# A
E D C# A B

The first genre change is D C# D X3 E E D C#

The last part of the chorus is
E D C# A E D C# A B E D C# " D B "

Another verse and chorus

Then I think the horns come in with a long A followed by
C# B C# C# C# B C#-----

I think its then sustained
A G F# E
Not too sure on the build up but I believe its pretty much
E F# G A? and I know Im missing a few notes there

The next section is just
E D C# A A
E D C# A A
E D C# A A
A B B D

Keep repeating until doing the chorus again with one last loud finish and then end on an A or an E? I've just been doing something instinctively cant remember what

Hope that helps you, it be great if someone could neaten or correct this, as its all based on small scrawlings Ive done on paper for myself!