Forum search

Harmonica in Ska?

2 replies [Last post]
TheBlitheringOne
TheBlitheringOne's picture

I've always dug the horn aspect of Ska. Like many people, I sing along with the horn sections when I listen to RBF, LTJ, Streetlight, etc. I tried playing sax, failed. Yet, harmonica came naturally to me. At first I would just mess around with Folky-sounding stuff, then it dawned on me that a harmonica is just as applicable to Ska as a sax, trombone, or trumpet. I wondered why people didn't use them. I've heard em used in DIY Punk bands here and there, but not Ska.

Surely, I'm not an expert on Ska. Some may be right in calling me an ignoramus. That's mean, tho.

Over the years, I've put together at least two Ska songs with harmonica. Long story short, I was doing some solo acoustic Ska stuff and dabbled in curiosity. I offer those 2 songs for your own curiosity. I've shown the tracks to a few people and they agreed that the harmonica works, but they weren't enthusiastic. It was more like they simply acknowledged that there was a harmonica being played...not that there could be a revolution, of sorts, in Ska thanks to another wind instrument being utilized.

here's a link:
https://vernacularmonkey.bandcamp.com/

First harmonica track is Only A Cynic Would Badmouth Pessimism from the Neither My Idea Nor Your Choice cd.
2nd is My Face Hurts With Ugly from Censorship.

Perhaps someone will check it out and give me a decent, musician's response.
Peace

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
Harmonica in Ska music

Hey TheBlitheringOne,

Harmonica has in fact been used in Ska music before, specifically 2nd wave/Two-tone Ska. Check out "Special Brew" by Bad Manners and try to play along. It's in the key of G major, which I believe is the key for the standard harmonica. Hope that helps!

-SkaMasta097

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
Harmonica in Ska music

Hey TheBlitheringOne,

Harmonica has in fact been used in Ska music before, specifically 2nd wave/Two-tone Ska. Check out "Special Brew" by Bad Manners and try to play along. It's in the key of G major, which I believe is the key for the standard harmonica. Hope that helps!

-SkaMasta097