Forum search

*FOR EVERYONE* Please answer this questionnaire.

15 replies [Last post]
Savage
Savage's picture

Hey everyone,

I'm in a Philosophy of Music Education course this semester, and my final project is a research paper about informal learning and how motivation can be transferred to a formal setting. I chose to use horntabs.net to facilitate my study, so I'm hoping to get lots of participants. Please answer the questions posted below to help with my research.

If you feel comfortable, post them right here in the thread. If you don't (or if you don't have an account), then you can email them to savager_11@hotmail.com (just make sure your answers are numbered). I will only be using screen names in my paper, and if anyone specifically requests, I don't even have to do that. The more detail, the better, so don't feel like you have to be brief. Also, although I'd like everyone participating to answer all the questions, if you have a really good answer for one, but aren't comfortable or don't know how to answer another, then just answer the ones you can (again, just make sure your answers are numbered).

1. How did you find the site?

2. What were your motivations behind joining the site? What were you trying to accomplish then, and what are you trying to accomplish now?

3. What do you get out of the site on a regular basis?

4. Have your intentions for using the site changed since you joined?

5. What is your musical background? What instruments do you play and in what capacity? Do you have any formal training in any aspects of music?

6. Are there any things you are specifically pleased with about the site?

7. Are there any thing you are specifically displeased with about the site?

8. What is your age?

9. What are your thoughts on sheet music versus tablature for horn?

10. A while back, the site was revamped. Has this changed your interaction with the site at all, and if so, how?

11. (If applicable) Does horntabs.net help you with music in school or private lessons?

12. (If applicable) Does your school music teacher, band director, or private instructor incorporate any ska into their teaching?

13. Where do you live?

Thanks for any and all cooperation.

Savage

SkaMasta097
SkaMasta097's picture
Re: Horntabs Survey

I was referred to it by my friends who play horns, and found it by searching on Google.

2. What were your motivations behind joining the site? What were you trying to accomplish then and what are you trying to accomplish now?

At first, I used the site to find interpretations of third wave ska songs for trumpet and alto saxophone. I was in a band and the horn players could not play by ear. They needed something to read in order to play.

Most of all, I get interpretations of popular songs with horns from the site. I also get information, feedback, thoughts, and comments from other musicians on the site. However, more than anything, I get to give back to the community through my sheet music transcriptions, as well as any tips and advice I can offer.

4. Did your intentions change?

Yes. My intentions changed from simply using the site to get tabs, to actually contributing to the site and making it better for everyone in anyway that I can.

5. What is your musical background? What instruments do you play and in what capacity? Do you have any formal training in any aspects of music?

I was in band for all of middle school. In high school, I was in marching band (pit/front ensemble), concert/symphonic band, and percussion ensemble. For my first two years of college, I majored in Music Education, and was in a variety of ensembles including marching band, symphonic band, percussion ensemble, and steel drum band. I took four semesters of private lessons in percussion as required for my major. I also took two semesters of music theory, aural skills, and keyboard skills as required for my major.

I play percussion, drum kit, and keyboard. I played melodic/keyboard, battery, and auxillary percussion for 10 years. I have been playing the drum kit for 7 years. I am decent at marimba and drumset, and passable at keyboard.

I am pleased with the sheet music contributions to the site by the members.

I wish the site was more active, with more sheet music contributions, so it can be a better site in general and be taken more seriously in the online musician community.

8. What is your age?

25 years old.

I think that while tabs may be a quick, easy way to notate songs, sheet music is ultimately the best way to go. Tablature is a better way to notate music for guitars (and other stringed instruments) than sheet music because tablature can notate the subtle intricacies and nuances of guitar playing that standard notation cannot. Also, horn "tabs" are not actually tabs, since tablature is for stringed instruments only. They are simply note names, and even with the help of software that translates note names to staff, it still cannot notate rhythm, pitch, octave, dynamics, or form (structure) of the music. All in all, I think horn "tabs" are largely an amateur, impractical, crude, and inaccurate method of notation when compared to sheet music. Although, I do understand that not everyone can write sheet music or has access to sheet music software.

While I am not against them, I will always prefer sheet music over horn tabs. The main reason is that horn players are taught in school to read sheet music from the start. That is the way they play music, plain and simple. To do so otherwise via tabs is inconsistent. In my personal experience, horn players that I have worked with found tabs to be confusing and they seemed much more natural at learning new songs when presented with sheet music to read.

10. A while back, the site was revamped. Has this changed your interaction with the site at all, and if so, how?

The relaunch of horntabs.net has significantly changed my interaction with the site for the better. It is much more user friendly, with more features, and the inclusion of the sheet music section of the site has improved the quality of the site in my opinion. I am very thankful for all of the users contributions to the sheet music section in particular. I only wish there were more contributions. In any case, it has motivated me to work on transcribing songs to sheet music so that many horn players all around the world can enjoy them.

11. (If applicable) Does horntabs.net help you with music in school or private lessons?

Not Applicable

12. (If applicable) Does your school music teacher, band director, or private instructor incorporate any ska into their teaching?

No.

13. Where do you live?

Duson, Louisiana, USA

Thanks for any and all cooperation.

You're welcome! Smile

Reede
Reede's picture
1. How did you find the

Found the site by searching through google

2. What were your motivations behind joining the site? What were you trying to accomplish then, and what are you trying to accomplish now?
It seemed like a good site for getting tabs for my alto sax. I'm pretty much just looking to have fun, and play some songs I like, which is what I'm still doing.

Normally I can find tabs I like to the songs I wanna try out, though often they're in trumpet, so I'll have to transpose them with the tool thats provided, so it's nice.

Not really, no.

Played through elementary school to middle school, but couldn't continue taking band in high school (too many credits already), but I've recently gotten back into playing and this lets me pick things I really like.

The transposing tools and to-sheet music tools really help with getting things ready to play, as well as the sheet music section which has really helped.

I can't really say there is. There's not many places to get tabs for horns, and this site makes it really easy with a great selection. Only thing I'd like to see is more alto specific tabs, but that's just personal preference.

8. What is your age?

I really prefer the sheet music, because it makes the initial learning a lot easier, but tabs definitely work.

Other than the addition of sheet music, I can't really say it has, but I don't remember too much of the old site.

N/A

N/A

13. Where do you live?
USA, Pennsylvania

Faulk
Faulk's picture
1. How did you find the

Can't remember, it was probably about 7 years ago. I think Google would be the most likely.

Probably just wanted to play along to some songs I'd heard. That hasn't changed.

Well I no longer use it on a regular basis, but right now I'm trying to get some Blue Meanies tabs out of it.

No. Ohh...actually back in the day I do recall posting on the forum; sharing knowledge and whatnot. I don't really have time for that anymore.

I've played trumpet for the last 7.5 years and had lessons at high school for the first 5. Years before that I played tenorhorn in a brass band. I'm not great at trumpet, certainly don't play like someone with 7 years of experience but I'm in a band now and doing alright. I also play bass guitar fairly well but haven't had formal training on that.

Not really. The users are friendly if that counts.

The password reset function could be better. I'd also like to see more tabs for more instruments, bands and genres but that's moreso a problem with community interest rather than the site itself.

8. What is your age?
20 years

Quite the opposite of previous answers; I've always preferred to play by ear. I can read music but tend to use it more as a rough guide than strict instructions, so I've never really understood why anyone would need sheet music if the tabs are there. I can hear in the piece what's going on so as long as the right notes are in the tab, there's no reason why I can't figure out where to put them. I like tabs because they save me the time of figuring out songs from scratch.

No. I think my interaction with horntabs.net dropped before the change. On the occasions that I've come back for a visit I haven't noticed it being any harder to navigate.

N/A but I think it used to...

N/A (I gave them no choice =P)

13. Where do you live?
Adelaide, South Australia

anisfeve
anisfeve's picture
Questionnaire

Searching in google few years ago.

Find some tabs and I foung it, now make tabs too.

Tabs and news.

Well, I been trying made tabs now, this is something new for me.

Like a few years ago, when I started the University. I like to play trumpet more that others, but I play trombone, sax and guitar too. My capacity are like rockie than a profesional player, but I love it. I have two bands, ska band and beirut' covers band.

The tabs and the news.

Not realy, maybe if the page works with another format to make tabs like noteflight. The page will turned great.

8. What is your age?
I've twenty six years old.

I learned the method of the page, its very useful. But I prefer if the page will have a new system to make tabs. The sheet music its always universal from all instruments.

Not realy, its the same.

Totally, always in private, my own private music ♪.

I'm trumpet teacher. Not now, but I always teach ska music in my lessons.

13. Where do you live?
I'm peruvian. I live in Lima (Capital from my country) Perú, SouthAmerica.

RGalaxiee
RGalaxiee's picture
1. I found this site when i

1. I found this site when i started to look up for tabs to play.. so i found some ska here and i loved it.

2. When i first started i just wanted to have the tabs, now i submit the ones i do.

3. I dont know what basis means Sad

4. Yes, i want to submit many tabs.

5. I like reggae and ska, ive been playing guitar for 5 years so i know more than basics. I do study by myself and with my saxo teacher every now and then, i can read tabs and sheet.

6. That i can found the music i want to play

7. All the tabs i submit last like 1 or 2 weeks to appear on the list, so i get kind of dissapointed. i tried to show off and my tabs werent there, lol... they appeared 2 weeks later... :S

8. im 16 years old and im mexican Laughing out loud AHUEVO!

9. they both help us to play, i do prefer sheet music because when you know how to read them is waaaay more easy to know how many times you need to play or which tone is it.

10. i wasnt a memeber yet

11. Sometimes, i mean, when my teacher asks me to play something i like to play, it is easiest for me.

12. Yes he does, he played in a ska band, and he is actually been studying that.

13. I live in Toluca, Estado de Mexico, Mexico

MEXICO!

SKalisaya

Mango Town
Mango Town's picture
1. first a friend showed it

1. first a friend showed it to me when i first started playing only went to it a few times, then found it on my own looking for horn tabs later
2. getting horn tabs out there and to get other people to take the time and write out more tabs

4. no they have not
5. well we are a band, we usually take requests of people and just write out stuff and if we like the song we might perform it. and we use it if there are any correct tabs for the songs we want to do.
6. pretty easy to post and sign up.
7. the incorrect tabs
8. 19ish

9. most of us are music majors now in college and for ska music we perfer the tabs usually.
10. not really. good things come and go and things improve
11. it helps us with ear training and writing out songs from ear
12. not really but our high school teacher was the trumpet player from fighting gravity
13. VA

MANGO TOWN

TLis5503
TLis5503's picture
Research

1. I think just by google.
2. I just wanted to find a place to start with ska, being that I'm a beginner trombone player. In reality, I'm still not that great of a player, so my intentions are similar.
3. A list of some good bands to listen to, and some guidance in the ska genre.
4. No, not really.
5. I am a percussionist, first, then piano for my theory classes. I play trombone as well, but to a lesser degree. I am a music education major, I auditioned with percussion, but started trombone for my education classes.
6. I like how it is a unique site, guitar tab sites are a dime a dozen. Also, I like how it isn't over run with advertisements and popups.
7. I wish there were more "sheets" instead of tabs. It would just be a little adjustment, but I feel that sheet music is easier for me.
8. 20
9. I feel that tabs are a great stepping stone, especially if you're just starting out, but for me, I have a hard time using tabs. And if all you use is tabs, then that is fine too, because they are easier to make.
10. I really haven't been on this site for very long, so I don't know.
11. I don't take private trombone lessons, and my brass methods class was last semester, so it is mainly just for me.
12. Unfortunately, no, mostly everyone at my school is either a jazz player, or an orchestral player.
13. Salt Lake City, Utah

SupaChard89
SupaChard89's picture
Answers

1. I found the site when I was 15 through the other trumpet player in my old ska band.
2. My motivations in joining were to help correct tabs and post new ones I'd figured out myself. My motivations then were a little more bombastic? I wanted to learn new songs, but I could do that without joining. I initially created an account so I could comment on tabs and correct people, so I was a little mean (my old account was asdfg). But now I use it to post new tabs, learn new tabs, and do things like this.
3. I get help on a regular basis. Whenever I can't remember how to play a song, I come here. Whenever I want to learn a new song, first I check to see if it's posted here.
4. As mentioned in 2, they kind of have, but not really.
5. I've been playing the trumpet for nearly 13 years (at a professional level), trombone for nearly 7 (at an intermediate level), and piano for over 6 (at an intermediate level). I was in every band in high school (wind ensemble, pep band, jazz band, orchestra) and was 1st trumpet in all of them as well as being Drum Major in pep band my senior year. I went to UMass Dartmouth for Music Composition/Music Education where my main instrument was trumpet and I obviously studied things such as music theory, ear training, etc and was in the concert band. I've been in ska/punk bands (covers and originals) since I was 14 (I'm 22 now). I played in the Tri County Wind Ensemble as 3rd trumpet, 1st chair. I've been composing music since I was 16 and now write music for short films and movies, my own pleasure, and I even dabble in writing beats for people to rap over.
6. I'm really just pleased the site exists and it's not filled with, pardon my word choice, douche bags. Everyone really seems to be here to help each other out.
7. Not particularly. For a long time it was physically impossible for me to log in and it wouldn't let me make a new account either, but they've fixed that. Other than that, the site's simple and easy.
8. I'm 22 years old.
9. Sheet music is obviously easier for those who know how to read it. It took me a long time to get used to the tab format when I first started, but it's easy enough. The only issue really comes from the fact that it doesn't give you rhythms and a lot of posters don't give you octaves either. However, that's easily beaten down by the fact that people are usually here to learn to play a song they already know, so they don't really need to be told that information. As a musician and composer, I prefer sheet music, but when it comes to ska, the answer changes.
10. I didn't use the site for a long time. I don't know when it was revamped. Maybe that was when I couldn't log in. I haven't really noticed anything.
11. This question is not applicable. I am no longer in school, nor am I taking lessons. It helps me help other people and it helps in bands unrelated to school.
12. This question is not applicable currently, but my instructors always dismissed ska and I had to teach my private instructor in college as to what ska was myself. He enjoyed it, but we were into classical training. My high school band teacher encouraged listening to ska, but only to the jazz band players.
13. I live in Massachusetts.

-Richard-

Ekim Gram
Ekim Gram's picture
1. How did you find the

It was about 9 years ago and I was just getting into ska. This was before I attended music school and my dictation abilities were non-existent. I Googled something alone the lines of "How to play Everything Goes Numb on trumpet" and this site came up.

I actually just joined this site 5 minutes prior to this posting. I recently formed a ska band as a side project and I come here to get a bit of a framework for whatever songs I'm learning and writing out/arranging for my horn section.

As stated above, a simple framework of the music.

Nope.

I have a degree in music education, I teach professionally, perform semi-professionally. I'm mainly an orchestral musician but sometimes it feels good to play some "fun stuff."

There's a lot of room for improvement and contributions.

I can't say I like the notation converter or whatever it is.

8. What is your age?

I think tabulature should only be used as a stepping stone. People have been reading and writing sheet music for years and not being able to, especially nowadays with so many good musicians out there, is nothing but a handicap.

I have not used the site very frequently in the past 5 or 6 years so I probably didn't notice it.

Not at all.

Not at all.

13. Where do you live?

Long Island, New York.

leelee1411
leelee1411's picture
1. One of my friends who

1. One of my friends who plays the same instrument as me told me he found a lot of music on this site and that I should try it.
2. My motivations behind joining were to try and find fun, free and famous music that I could play on my sax.
3. I get a lot of fun riffs that I can warm-up with and play for fun as opposed to my band and lesson music, which I must get perfect.
4. No.
5. I have been playing alto sax for 6 years and the bari sax for 3 or 4 months. I play the bari in my middle school band and jazz band and I take lessons for my bari. I played alto in my middle school band last year and in my elementary school band before that. I had been taking guitar lessons for 3 or 4 years, but about a year ago I switched to piano and haven’t picked up the guitar much since then.
6. I like the amount of involvement on this site. For example, if someone gets a tab wrong, someone will correct them. I also appreciate the range of music on this site.
7. I wish that there were some more jazz songs on this site.
9. I prefer sheet music most of the time, but for songs I already know, tabs are fine.
10. I was not on the site before it was revamped.
11. Horn tabs has not affected my lessons or band.
12. No there is no ska in any of my formal training,
13. South of Boston, MA

zaqwithaq
zaqwithaq's picture
1. I believe I was referred

1. I believe I was referred by a friend

2. I was trying to skip that whole transcription part of playing in a band. I didnt have a great ear cause I'd only played classical at that point

3. I dont use the site regularly, The bands I'm in don't do a whole ton of covers anymore, but it is typically just to check to see if someone's written out a tune that we want to do if i'm too busy to do it myself

4. Not really.

5. I'm a classical saxophonist going into my second year in conservatory. I used to play some ska on the side, but then that slipped into reggae.

7. No, I do really enjoy it as a tab/sheet music depository

8. 19

9. I think tabs are a wonderful thing, because a lot of people I've talked to say "oh man, sax/bone/horn is so cool, but I wouldnt ever want to learn to read music!" To me, reading music doesn't seem like a big deal because I've been doing it for so long, but its simply FANTASTIC that we can bring these songs to those with less musical training. In the bands I'm in now, we usually don't dictate the rhyhm of the horn lines, and only rarely the pitches (usually to write out some harmonies). I never felt that non-institutionalized music NEEDED to be written out, and that it should be somewhat improvisational.

10. Not gonna lie, I barely even noticed...I'm not on here a lot.

11. nah

12. I don't even touch jazz in my lessons, let alone any form of rock.

13. Long Beach CA

-Mikipedia
-Mikipedia's picture
1. How did you find the

I found the site as most people find anything on the internet - through google.

I wanted to join the site because I am a trumpet player and I find that playing music that I'm familiar with or anything that's just a bit of fun greatly restores my motivation for the instrument.
At the time I just wanted some fun things to play and thought that a community of like minded people on the internet concerning music would be a great way to do so.
Now I'm currently in my final year of high school and consequently I'm under a great deal of stress. I use my trumpet (and tabs from this site) to relieve that stress Smile

The enjoyment of playing the tabs from the site, I don't get much time to play music, but when I do I try to incorporate some fun stuff.

Not really, my stress levels and time constraints have changed which influences the time I can spend on things like learning, playing and searching for tabs.
But that's about it.

I play the trumpet and this is my sixth year of playing. I play first trumpet in my school band and greatly enjoy playing. I haven't had any formal training as such and no longer do reular lessons
due to the time constraints of study (my studies are my main concern).

I like the diverse range of music on the site, as well as the fact that it is designed for instruments like trumpet and trombone which don't normally get much attention for
this kind of thing.

No, although a search option for the tabs on the homepage would certainly be more convenient.

8. What is your age?
I'm 18.

I find sheet music to be far more convenient, especially when trying to incorporate parts with other instruments as a lot of people have difficultly staying in time with only tabs - or if
they're unfamiliar with the song.

I find the site to be a lot more user friendly, meaning that I'm much more likely to use the site more often.

13. Where do you live?
I live in a rural town around 100km out of Melbourne, Australia.

Reptar
Reptar's picture
1. How did you find the

Looking for reel big fish sheet music
I love playing ska now. I was trying to okay ska, and note in practicing playing above the shake.
Tips from other users and great tabs
Yes, it was just a source if music, but now it's a source of information
I play trumpet, and the most diurnal training was in school
The feature to covey tabs to sheet music
none so far
8. What is your age?
Sheet music has less freedom, but has dynamics
I never saw the old site
YES
I got my marching band teacher to consider playing sell out
13. Where do you live?
Ohio

Judd88
Judd88's picture
1. How did you find the

I found this site on google looking for ska music.

I just wanted something to play. I recently got back into playing the trombone after a few years of letting it just sit there.

Stuff to mess around with and play along with the music.

Nope

I grew up in a family full of musicians, my grandfather was a jazz guitarist my dad is a drummer, and my mother played french horn. I play the trombone and the drums. I am currently learning the bass and guitar as well. I have formal training in both trombone and drums.

It is easy to find the songs I want to play.

nope

8. What is your age?

I like sheet music a bit more, it is what I grew up with and am more used to it. Tabs do the job tho.

nope

13. Where do you live?

San Diego

Frosty Turtle
Frosty Turtle's picture
1. How did you find the

Probably a Google search

I made a ska band with my friends, but neither me nor the trumpet player can play by ear very well so I get tabs for songs for that band. Pretty much the same now

Just tab for mostly rbf or streetlight.

No. I would like to co tribute but I have a bad ear

Trumpet and trombone in the school symphony and symphonic band

Just the fact that it exists is good enough for me

Not that broad a selection of bands

8. What is your age?

Sheet music would be better, but tab is easier to write

I didn't use it before the revamp

It does not

No
13. Where do you live?
Davis CA